Well it seems there may be some mis- information out there. How ever keep in mind that these regulations keep on changing . What is legal today could quite well put you in prison tomorrow.

Fact or fiction:

If you own a still you must register it. { The law is that you must register your still {if} you are going to use it for distillation of spirits but not if it is intended for other purposes such as ethanol for your car, oil extracts from plant or distilled water. See (a) below

When I read the law a while back it stated that if you buy any part of a condenser it must have a serial number on it and all records of such sales must be turned in to the feds. I assume this law would also cover complete still since that still would include the condenser and therefor would need to have all parts numbered.

If I am wrong please post a comment on the matter. I welcome all comments and any articles anyone would care to post on my site. Just send articles to me via email and I will look at them to make sure they are appropriate and if so I will post them and give you credit for it.


(a) Requirements

Every person having in his possession or custody, or under his control, any still or distilling apparatus set up, shall register such still or apparatus with the Secretary immediately on its being set up, by subscribing and filing with the Secretary a statement, in writing, setting forth the particular place where such still or distilling apparatus is set up, the kind of still and its capacity, the owner thereof, his place of residence, and the purpose for which said still or distilling apparatus has been or is intended to be used (except that stills or distilling apparatus not used or intended to be used for the distillation, redistillation, or recovery of distilled spirits are not required to be registered under this section).

(b) Cross references


For penalty and forfeiture provisions relating to unregistered stills, see sections 5601(a)(1) and 5615(1).


For provisions requiring notification to set up a still, boiler, or other vessel for distilling, see section 5101(a)(2).